McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II - McDonnell model designators
From Scramble - The Aviation Magazine
The F3H-E project (also known as Model 98A by the company), powered by a single Wright J67 turbojet (license-built version of the British Bristol Olympus turbojet engine). The F3H-E dispensed with the nose-high attitude of the Demon and stood level on a tricycle undercarriage. It had a 45-degree swept wing of 450 square feet in area. In the event, the J67 engine never did materialize as a realistic powerplant for American aircraft.
The Model 98B (F3H-G) project was to be powered by a pair of Wright J65-W-2 (or W-4) turbojets rated at 7800 lb.s.t. each. The twin-engined configuration was attractive to many in the Navy, because of the increased amount of safety it offered over a single-engined aircraft. The engines were to be fed by a pair of side-mounted air intakes. A low-mounted swept wing and an all-flying straight tailplane were to be used. This wing was slightly larger than that of the F3H-E, with a 530-square foot area. The fuselage was to be designed in conformance with the area rule, in order that minimum transonic drag be achieved.
Model to be fitted with delta and straight wing, and to be powered either by a pair of Wright J65s or two General Electric J79s.
Model to be fitted with straight wing, and to to be powered either by a pair of Wright J65s or two General Electric J79s.
The Model 98F was the photographic reconnaissance version of the 98C.
Designation for F-4E Phantom II
Proposed photographic reconnaissance version of the basic design, eventually leading to the RF-4B.
On May 26, 1955, after further review of Navy requirements, the BuAer requested that the designers complete the two prototypes (BuNos 142259 and 142260) as two-seat all-weather fighters carrying an entirely missile-based armament. On June 23, 1955, the designation was changed to YF4H-1, a fighter designation. A day later, McDonnell issued a new model number for the project-98Q.
The model 98Q designator was short-lived, since when a contract for 18 airframes beginning with 2 flight test prototypes and a static test article was signed on June 24, it was for the Model 98R with a modified Westinghouse AN/APQ-50 I/J-band radar with a 24-inch dish which was to be compatible with the Sparrow III semi-active radar homing missile.
This order was changed to Model 98S shortly thereafter, the changed designation indicating the provision of the capability of handling the infrared homing Sidewinder missile in addition to the radar-homing Sparrow III.
The F4H-1 (Model 98AM) was the first definitive production version of the Phantom, the earlier F4H-1F being considered developmental. The first Phantom to be considered fully-operational was the block 6 version of the F4H-1, later redesignated F-4B.
Factory designation for the F-4C.
Factory designation for the RF-4C.
Factory designation for a F-4C derative, offered in March 1963 to Royal Australian Air Force. Model 98DX was to be powered by a pair of French-built SNECMA Atar 9 turbojets. This engine was picked because it powered the Mirage IIIO fighters that were already being flown by the Royal Australian Air Force. However, the Royal Australian Air Force opted instead for the F-111C.
Factory designation for the RF-4E.
Factory designation for the F-4F.
Factory designation for the cancelled F-4L.